The Department of Defense Announces its Digital Engineering Strategy
Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering Michael Griffin released the Department of Defense Digital Engineering Strategy today.
The strategy promotes the use of digital representations of systems and components and the use of digital artifacts to design and sustain national defense systems. The department's five strategic goals for digital engineering are:
- Formalize the development, integration, and use of models to inform enterprise and program decision making
- Provide an enduring, authoritative source of truth
- Incorporate technological innovation to improve the engineering practice
- Establish a supporting infrastructure and environment to perform activities, collaborate and communicate across stakeholders
- Transform the culture and workforce to adopt and support digital engineering across the lifecycle
The DoD Digital Engineering Strategy can be found on the DoD Systems Engineering website https://www.acq.osd.mil/se/docs/2018-DES.pdf. To view a video and read more about digital engineering, visit https://www.acq.osd.mil/se/initiatives/init_de.html.